Tuesday, January 18, 2011

No more lizard brain for me!

Seth Godin wrote a recent blog post that hit me right between the eyes.  He was so right about the "lizard brain" speaking up, constantly sending us on that downward spiral of thinking about not having any good ideas, followed by not having enough time.  When you come right down to it, it's our choice of whether or not we are going to let the resistance win.

I must admit that I struggle with procrastination often.  Sometimes things just seem so overwhelming and I really am not sure of where to start.  Perfectionism reduces me to frequent "all-or-nothing" thinking.  What's underneath all that isn't pretty... fear of failure and fear of not having anything worthwhile to say or share.  Being a very detailed-oriented person, it's often easy to get caught in the weeds.

This year it's my goal to consistently break myself out of this grid-lock.  There are ideas and stories inside of me just screaming to get out.  My husband and I even recently launched a second blog about Pomegranate Janet ... a fictitious comic strip about amusing thoughts and happenings along a journey of weight loss and fitness.  Now not only am I stretching myself with the written word, but also now forcing myself to pick up my pencils and sketchpad again and just draw.  Seth Godin sure got it right... "... don't tell me you don't have any good ideas."  No more lizard brain for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment