Sunday, December 19, 2010

Take Time for the 3rd Verse!

I've been privileged to be a part of three great Southern Baptist churches from grade school through early adulthood.  Each of these congregations were (and are) still very special to me, and helped ground me in my faith and outlook on life.  From the beginning of my church-going days, music always played a central part of that experience and often spoke to me the strongest.

But, alas, I think I missed out on something growing up through these experiences.  I say this in love, so no offense is meant.  But I'm sure any of you also who experienced this Southern Baptist environment will agree with me that you often heard many a choir director through the years say:  "Join me in singing the first, second, and fourth verses of [insert name of the hymn-of-the-day]."

What about the 3rd verse?!  Why is it so often skipped over?  I love hymns and the profound messages in all of their verses.  It's not unusual for me to just read through the pages of a hymnal occasionally and be moved by the beautiful messages found in those verses.  Often times one of those "3rd versus" really jumps out at me... even from a familiar tune I know by heart.

Our current church home, Chapel by the Sea, is a bit more formal in their worship service format and I've observed we tend to sing all verses in the hymns there.  I'm really enjoying this and am discovering more great "3rd verses" with each visit.  This morning was no exception, so I'd like to share this awesome combination:  Christmas music + particularly beautiful 3rd verses.

Wise men, leave your contemplation; Brighter visions beam afar.  Seek the great Desire of nations, Ye have seen the infant's star.  (Chorus) Come and worship, come and worship. Worship Christ, the new-born King. ~(From "Angels from the Realms of Glory")
No more let sins and sorrows grow, Nor thorns infest the ground; He comes to make His blessings flow  (Chorus) Far as the curse is found, Far as the curse is found, Far as, far as the curse is found! ~(From "Joy to the World")
Christmas is less than a week away now.  I hope you enjoy this season of light and love, along with all the trimmings and festivities.  In the meantime, I'd love for you to share any "3rd verses" that have been special to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment